We Need a Word

Posted by on Mar 8, 2013 · 17 Comments

For when you’re nursing your child and your mom stands super close to watch it while she chats, and then she gets so caught up in the moment that she leans in and kisses the baby’s head, just centimeters away from your bare breast.

Because that is what happened to me yesterday.

Oh, does that not happen to you on a Thursday? Then I guess maybe we don’t need a whole word for it. Maybe just a therapy session.

Share It

Share on Facebook Share on Tumblr Share on Livejournal Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Share on Google Reader Share on Delicious Share on Digg Share by Email
Previous postWhat That New Mom Sitting Across From You At Lunch Was Probably Thinking Next postMom Changed Her E-Mail Address

17 Comments

1. Brett N
    March 8, 2013

“Lactoproximity.”

• Jas
      March 8, 2013

And Brett wins in the first comment.

2. Emily
    March 8, 2013

How about a word for when you are nursing in public and a stranger smiles at your baby and then that smile slowly turns to horror when they realize what is happening and that they have just smiled at your boob. And then they have to decide how to play it off – at least here in Seattle, where it would be a major faux pas to be horrified by nursing in public, so they then have to communicate via facial expression that they were horrified by the possibility that you thought they were leering, not the fact that you were nursing. I suppose other places they can just follow up with a look of disgust that boobies exist.

3. Kari
    March 8, 2013

I would like for there to be a word for it because it happened to me. Commence therapy!

4. Tarable
    March 8, 2013

I’m suggesting awkward.

At least it wasn’t your dad…

5. Dominee
    March 8, 2013

That is my everyday because my baby has an older sibling…he’s only three, but he still gets too close for comfort when brother is nursing.

6. Kyla
    March 8, 2013

How about realizing that not that many years ago it was you nestled up to your Moms bosom and so really, you’ve been in “Lactoproximity” hundreds of times before…and didn’t even really realize it.

7. Space Kitty
    March 8, 2013

I’m going with

awwwwwwwwwwkward.

8. Lauren
    March 8, 2013

I think it’s sweet, but my mom and I are close. What’s fun is the reaction strangers have when they get a glimpse of your boob while you’re nursing. They look away like they’re terrified of being accused of ogling. Now THAT’s fun.

9. Meghan
    March 8, 2013

My FIL did that to me. Twice. My sympathies.

• Julie
      March 12, 2013

That needs a different word: and that word is “Gag.”

10. Alexandra
    March 8, 2013

Oh my gosh that made me laugh out loud.

BECAUSE eww that’s my breast, mama.

At least it was your mother. IVE had it done with MY MIL!!!!!!!!!!

PTSD

11. JennyOH
    March 9, 2013

My own mom, I don’t mind so much. My mother-in-law committing lactoproximity…that was a bit weird.

12. Vicky
    March 12, 2013

That happened to me. Several times. Except it was my older sister. For some reason when I said to her, “Hi, that’s my boob right there, can you not do that right now?” she didn’t take that as a hint that it made me uncomfortable. Huh. That pretty much sums up our whole relationship, now that I think about it.

13. Brett N
    March 15, 2013

What did I win? Cuz I ain’t got it yet.

I hope it’s a pony.

14. Katy
    March 21, 2013

I was gonna say boobus-interruptus but lactoproximity is better, Damn it.